Friday, December 23, 2005

Game Shows

I have never been a big fan of game shows (well, except for Dog Eat Dog - the fake boobs on the contestants always made me smile). However, this week NBC has been airing Deal or No Deal and I hate to admit it but I am enjoying it. Like most other game shows of the modern era, DoND is a rip-off of a foreign TV networks concept. This show is arguable the simplest game show since Card Sharks. I loved Card Sharks as a kid and I watch it once and a while on GSN. The conceited part of me says I should not watch this show since there is no skill at all involved with this game. At least with Millionaire or even the Price is Right you have to have the faintest of intelligence to be successful. With DoND you only need to be able to read numbers. The premise is simple. You pick a suitcase with a number on it. In the case is a card that has a dollar value on it. That is the amount you win if you eliminate all the other suitcases. I won't bore you with how you get the money (read the rules on the website). The only thing I don't like about the show is Howie Mandell (I guess his rating success with DoND means no more Boston Pizza ads). He is cheesier than Wink Martindale (although Wink was pretty cool back in the day). The voice overs are like the ones on the Apprentice, poorly dubbed. As a gambler, the show certainly appeals to me. What would I do if I was in the contestants place? Would I go for it? Or would I take the deal? I have no idea and that is what makes the show work in my eyes. Oh yeah, they have models from the Hooters modeling agency holding the cases. Who knew there was a modeling agency called Hooters? I wonder if this is any way affliated with the restaurant chain.

Its Christmas (or is that holiday) time. For a brief moment I had some holiday cheer. That feeling was short lived for reasons I will not go into at this time. It doesn't even feel like Christmas time as the temperature is warm and there is no snow. It is supposed to get as warm as 10C on the 25th. Yikes.

I hope everyone enjoys the holidays and I promise to not take two weeks to put up a new post.

VK

No comments: