Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Don't Call Me Kev

Today, I had a client (whom I have never talked to be before) call me "Kev". I am aware that the name of this blog says that I am indeed a "Kev". The thing is, my name is Kevin. There are a few things that people I don't know do that drive me insane and calling me "Kev" is one of them. Calling me "Kev" implies that we are friends or at least deal on some sort of personal level. My friends and family can call me "Kev" and I will never object. I remember back to when my Grandpa was alive he told me that he would never call me "Kev" as he felt it was disrespectful to call me something other than my birth name. I always that was kind of cool. I miss him. Any how, can you tell someone (client or otherwise) not to refer to you by your nickname or some sort of shortened name, especially when you introduce yourself using your full name ? How hard can it be to call me "Kevin". Two syllables, instead of one. And how about people you work with that you don't like? IA can call me "Kev" but can someone that sits near him (and hears him call me that) use it?

All I ask is if you don't know me, don't pretend we are familiar. We are not and probably never will be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember the first time I called you Kev instead of Kevin. You paused, looked at me, explained your position and I thought it was interesting. I have never had this problem as my name is only one syllable. My wife's name however gets butchered every time someone tries to shorten. It usually gets shortened to Ort, which is not really that appealing to anyone and just causes the person who calls her this look ignorant.