Sunday, February 26, 2006

Vegaskev goes to Vegas



Day Three - Wednesday

Breakfast was at the Tropical Breeze Cafe located in the Flamingo. It was pretty good. There are only so many buffets that one can eat so only one breakfast buffet while in Vegas.

We decided to head south on the strip today since we went north yesterday. The first stop was the Bellagio.

I like the Bellagio. I has a classy feel to it without looking garish. I think the Wynn was a little to over-the-top. My main reason for going to the Bellagio was to go to the Gallery of Fine Art for the Impressionist Landscape: From Corot to Van Gogh show. It was fantastic and totally worth the $15.00 entry fee. For those of us without art history degrees, they had a hand-held device that told you the history of the painting and artist by punching in the corresponding number to the number beside the painting. Even IA enjoyed himself because of the hand-held tour guide. I went to the shop after the show and bought a couple of prints. One was a Gaudin and the other a Renoit.

After visiting the Bellagio we headed across the street to the Aladdin. The Aladdin is going to be rebranded this year as Planet Hollywood. I am not quite sure how the hotel will change so we will see. In the Aladdin we went to a sports bar named Blondie's. Here IA had a beer that he rated 5/5. I think the name of the beer was Newcastle. We watched the Canada/Russia hockey game and watched Canada fall out of the Olympics. Hopefully this will force Hockey Canada to stop sending pro's and get back to using amateur players.

When the game was over we went for lunch at Cheeseburger Las Vegas. Damn fine cheeseburgers. IA had a disappointing beer called Hefeweizin (2.5/5). The food was good though. A little pricey, but what in Vegas isn't.

After lunch, IA decided he wanted go back to the Wynn to pick up a shirt at the Ferrari store and pick up the shirt at Banana Republic. I decided to head back to the room to have a nap before we had to go to the basketball game.

The basketball game (UNLV v Utah) was great. US college sports is pretty high energy even when the teams are not very good. There were about 9500 people there to watch the game. The Thomas and Mack Arena is a good venue for sports and our seats had a good view of the action. Not a bad deal, $23.00US for tickets. I would certainly go again.

And did I mention college cheerleaders?...



After the game we grabbed a bite to eat and IA called it a night. I think all the walking around was getting to us as even IA admitted that he never realized how far apart each of the resort complexes are. Too funny. I decided to head down and play some blackjack. I played for about 2 hours (or so). Lost about $100.00. I played with two of the worst BJ players ever. In fact, one of them hit a 17 with the dealer showing 7. The clown hit and got a 3. The dealer flipped an 8 to get 11 and then a 10 to make 21. Because this guy took the three we all lost at the table. I think even the dealer was getting pissed at these idiots. Oh well. I headed up to the room around 1-130. Good times.

Thursday: Luxor action.

Day Three: Spent $176.00 (including losses).

No comments: